Our McMurray family emigrated to America from Drumlough, which is located in County Down, Ireland. That being said, there are several places in County Down, Ireland, where records show that members of our family once lived.
Click on the following map of County Down to view it full-size:
This is an extract from a full map of Northern Ireland (PDF).
This page contains information about County Down that was publicly available at Rosalind Davies' web page on Rootsweb.com. My thanks to Rosalind for making this information available.
County Down Information
Our McMurray family is recorded to have lived in the following locations, all within County Down.
||A townland 6km NW of Dromore; 1092 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means ' ridge of the lake'; has hills & bogs & Drumlough Moss; Presbyterian church here.
||V12 p 71, 72, 73, 76 OSM : GIPR: PNNI V6 p 122
||3km N of Grey Abbey; 783 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'townland of the summer pasturage'; in 1659 there were 4 English/Scots & 4 Catholic families; an area of bog; school established in 1834; Ballyboley Races 6 Apr 1872 (NI); ; Irish Land Act meeting 24 Mar 1894; Land Bill meeting 4 Jul 1896 (NC)
V7 p 67, 69, 70
OSM; SP; GV; DR; NC;
PNNI V2 p 201
||a parish & a town & townland of 555 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; means 'church of St. Duinseach'; click here for photos and more information
||3km SE of Comber; 632 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; to be sold by auction 62 acres in Lisbarnet 21 Apr 1792; in 1831 there were 65 houses; 43 families employed in agriculture & 8 in trade; 180 males & 184 females; 14 servants; the proprietor then was Lord Londonderry whose agent was Mr J. Andrews of Comber; farms were from 2 - 30 acres; rent was 20- 34 shillings an acre; middling quality land; one school here in 1836; crops were potatoes, wheat & oats; incendiary fire, tenants meeting 2 Mar 1850
V7 p 94,95
||A small parish & a townland of 317 acres; click here to see its location on a townland map; proprietor was Sir James Hamilton in 1615; the proprietors in 1836 were Rev. Mr Boyd of Dromara & A.M. Young of Belfast as trustee; good land; rents were 20 shillings an acre; Church of Ireland built in 1826; Cattle show: farming society 21 Jan 1843; Robert Murland bought the limestone quarries in 1864
||V7 p 122-124
O'L B p 320;
County Down Links
In the interests of information, the following links contain general information about County Down: