[NI0087] She collected porcelain/glass shoes. She was given a glass shoe by her husband from the 1898 World's Fair, now owned by Kay (Oedekerk) Wetmore.

[NI0097] Lived at Mount Carmel, PA.

[NI0113] Edward was a devout Christian according to family records.

[NI0115] Lived at Olney, IL.

[NI0118] Lived at Mount Carmel, PA, then at Detoit, MI.

[NI0122] Baptized by Reveverd Jacob Miller. Sponsored by Isaac Hunsperger "and his lady". Served in 9th PA Cavalry in Civil War as a SGT. Two letters written by C.T. Dechant to his brother during the Civil War still exist. (They are the property of Earl Dechant).

[NI0125] Lived at Reading, PA.
Never married.

[NI0126] Lived at Renova, PA.

[NI0127] Lived at Reading, PA.
Never married.

[NI0128] Lived at West Reading, PA.

[NI0129] Twin to Albert Henry Dechant.

[NI0130] Lived at Riverside, NJ.

[NI0131] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0132] Lived at Youngstown, OH.

[NI0133] The Weilburg birthplace is taken from the Pennsylvania archives of immigrants. In the book, "The Fathers of the Reformed Church", his birthplace was listed as Kreutznach, in the Palatinate.

First of Dechant family to come to America. He arrived at Philadelphia, PA, on 5 Sep 1805, as an indentured servant. The record of his travels was recorded in a letter that he sent to his Mother and Sister on 26 Jun 1807, from Baltimore, MD. He died about 30 miles from his home, as written "death overtook him".

Heinrich Jacob arrived in the US in Philadelphia on 5 Sept 1805 at the age of 22. He sold himself to a farmer for his passage to America. He arrived on board the ship "Verny" which sailed from Amsterdam.

[NI0134] Her mother "was a born Harklotz".

[NI0136] Birthdate taken from Appenheim records.

Confirmed in the Reformed Church on Easter, 1796.

From 1776-1796, Rev. Johann Peter Dechant was the Pastor in Appenheim.

[NI0138] In 1767, he wrote his name as "Dechent".

[NI0148] Baptized by Reverend Albert Helfenstein.
Sponsored by John and Hanna Romig.

[NI0149] Baptized by Reverend Friedrich Wm. Van der Sloot.
Sponsoerd by Phillip and Susanna Bahl.

[NI0150] Baptized by Reverend Dr. Andrees.
Sponsored by Reverend Thomas Pomp "and his lady

[NI0151] Baptized by Reverend Thomas Pomp.

Sponsored by Reverend Friedrich Wm. Vandersloot "and his lady Catharina".

[NI0152] Baptized by Reverend Jakob Dechant (his father). Sponsored by John Peter Dechant "and his lady Laura".

[NI0153] Baptized by Reverend Jakob Dechant (his father). Sponsored by Georg Friedrich Dechant "and his lady Catharina".

[NI0154] Father noted "when I was absent" about her birth.

Baptized by Reverend Dr. Geissenheiner. Sponsored by Reverend Henry Geissenheimer "and his Lady".

Never married.

[NI0155] Baptized by Reverend Jakob Dechant (his father).
Sponsored by his parents.

[NI0156] Baptized by Reverend Friedrich Wm. Vandersloot.

Sponsored by August Ruelze and Susanna Baere.

[NOTE: From an unknown newspaper reunion article]

From his 9th year he was a machinist, tailor, and preacher. He worked Schwenksville, Norristown and Macungie, all in Pennsylvania. He had to work at the above jobs "because at the age of 7 when his father died he was thrown upon his own resources almost immediately".

[NOTE: From the "Family Record" by Mary Dechant originally held by Julia Wien Wertz]

At the age of 7 he went to live with his sister, Mrs. Bassler, in Beaver Springs, Synder County.

At the age of ten he walked from Zieglersville, Montgomery county, to Philadelphia in one day. He was hired to a German by the name of Suller for board and clothes. This master was noted for his fiery temper and after five years of ill treatment, Augustus decided to run away.

During these five years he had been a regular attendant at the Sunday School in St. John's Street below Green. He also attended evening school for short time. His brothers, John and Fred, gave him enough money to take him to Norristown, from where he walked to Keelor's Church and there hired himself to two women by the name of Koons for board and clothes. These ladies were just as kind as Suller had been severe.

After one year he went to Schwenksville and learned a trade (tailor). He was confirmed by Rev. Hougen, one of his father's students in Keeley's church, near Schwenksville. At the age of 17 he went to Millerstown to work at his trade. While here he was made Superintendent of the Sunday School in his brother-in-law's church. He was pastor at the following churches; Keelor's Church, Frederick; Keeley's Church, Schwenksville; Towamencin, Huber's in Douglas Township; Boyertown; Hilltown; Summneytown; Old Goshenhopen (Woxall).

[NI0158] Baptized by Reverend Conrad Miller.
Sponsored by Elisabetha van Buskirk.

[NI0159] Baptized by Reverend Jakob Dechant (his father).
Sponsored by George Dewees "and his lady Emille".

[NI0160] [NOTE: From FRETZ, p.222]

Abner graduated from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster County, PA, in 1887 and from Reformed Theological Seminary in 1890. He was ordained a minister of the German Reformed Church in August 1890, and was sent to Abilene, Kansas, as a missionary. This work he carried on for five years, when he was elected Superintendent of Western Mission. He served this position for 7 years.


In 1895 he went to Mercersburg, PA. From 1898 to 1905 he was Superintendent of Missions for the Interior Synod. In 1901 he served St. Paul's Church, Waynesboro, PA for several months. In 1901 he started Oak Lane Church in Philadelphia, PA. He was there for 9 years.
In 1903 he went to the Philadelphia Classis, Eastern Synod. In 1910, he went to Hanover, Emmanuel Church. He was there 17 years when he retired and went to live at the Pigeon Hills House (known as the "Log House") where he was living at the time of his death.

[NI0161] At the age of 12 John went to Norristown, PA, and worked for Sheets. After that he worked in Philadelphia, PA, for the wholesale grocery house of Krauss, Ingram, and Hiester. While there he was faithful in YMCA work, in church, and Sunday School.

John was prevailed upon to enter the ministry. The firm presented him a $100 gift when he left for school. He worked his way through school. His preparatory course was taken at Palatinate College, Myerstown. He graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1896 and from the Lancaster Theological Seminary in 1899.

According to Mary Dechant Long, John was also trained as a minister but was never ordained and never preached. Mary stated that he was licensed, and knew him as Uncle Frank. He may have been wealthy. He did much genealogical research in Germany.

[NI0162] Clement graduated from Franklin and Marshall College in 1919. He graduated from the Lancaster Seminary in 1920.

According to his sister, Mary Dechant Long, Clement was given the middle name after Conrad Weiser, one of the primary immigrants to America.

Clement was the pastor in Oak Lane Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. He was also responsible for much of the beautiful stained glass at Oak Lane Church. He wrote a book describing each window and its symbolism.

Clement was a heavy smoker, and died from emphazema. He had a large collection of pipes he carved and made himself.

[NI0163] Member of Junior Class at Seminary.

Franklin And Marshall College - 1921 & Seminary In 1925.

[NI0170] Lived at Renova, PA.

[NI0172] Lived at Renova, PA. No children.

[NI0174] Lived at Renova, PA.

[NI0181] Presumed stillborn.

[NI0183] Born 12 Oct, ????

[NI0185] Lived at Renova, PA.

[NI0191] Lived at Renova, PA. Not married.

[NI0193] Lived at West Reading, PA. Not married.

[NI0195] Lived at Reading, PA. Served in US Army in France
during World War I.

[NI0198] Lived at Weatherly, PA.

[NI0202] Lived at Wyomissing, PA.

[NI0205] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0211] Lived at West Reading, PA.

[NI0213] Lived at Cincinnati, OH.

[NI0214] Lived at West Reading, PA.

[NI0218] Lived at Riverside, NJ.

[NI0221] Lived at Riverside, NJ. Not married.

[NI0225] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0230] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0231] Died April 19..?

[NI0232] Probably born at Reading, PA.

[NI0233] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0236] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0238] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0242] Lived at Reading, PA.

[NI0247] Lived at Ashland, PA. Served in US Army in France
during World War I.

[NI0251] Noted as possibly having been born "somewhere in

[NI0254] Lived at Mount Carmel, PA.

[NI0259] Probably born at Mount Carmel, PA.

[NI0261] Lived at Philadelphia, PA.

[NI0345] Killed at Sea.

[NI0347] Came from Boston, MA, to Chincoteague, VA.

[NI0376] Her death date said "10/X9/1935". I don't know what the "X" means, if anything.

[NI0397] Information about Mary McMurray and her family
was found in records found in the Public Record
Office of Belfast, Northern Ireland. ("Gravestone
Inscriptions in Ireland's Cemeteries", date unk.)

[NI0427] Some records listed as Earl Kenneth

[NI0438] Served in US Army in Hawaii, from 1925 to 1928.

[NI0449] Funeral service by Rev. John Casteel.

[NI0472] (Stauffer Diary; held by Julia Wien Wertz) . . on Tuesday, 3 October, 1854, Amanda moved to her husband, Rev. A. L. Dechant in the house with Isaac Stetler, merchant, in Frederick Township, Montgomery County. His congregations are at present Boyertown, Sassamans, Hubers, Keelers, and Hilltown.

[NI0478] Very artistic - painted on glass.

[NI0489] Jacob attended Palatinate College in Myerstown, PA and Perkiomen Seminary in Pennsburg, PA.

[NI0493] Her death may have been 12/05/1979.

[NI0495] Irene was a twin sister to Alliene. Unfortunately, Irene died at birth.

[NI0496] Alliene was a twin. Her twin sister, Irene Mayer, lived only one day.

Alliene graduated from Hood College in 1915. She was a missionary to Japan, sailing for Japan in September 1921 to teach English in the Girl's School in Sendai, Japan.

Alliene was a newspaper reporter and editor. Her last major job was as Editor of the Kutztown Patriot, Kutztown, PA, at that time a weekly paper. This was in the 1950s and 1960s. At one time, about 1940, she lived in the Fleetwood Hotel while she was a reporter for the Patriot.

Alliene married once, to a William VanReed SELTZER. That marriage lasted only a short time. Alliene probably was not a very lovable, warm person for her husband. Alliene was an opinionated lady, very proud, a "know-it-all", and a snoopy and embarrassing person to be around. However, those were the qualities that made her the great news reporter that she was. She was never without her pencil and paper, always ready to record a new incident or interview.

Alliene's nephew, Jim Long, once visited there for a week's stay and got measles. He remembers a period of delirium during the sickness. They decided to cut the stay short and took him home to Fleetwood, a trip that his mother, Mary, felt should not have been taken.

Alliene was the author of three books: "Of The Dutch I Sing" which was published in 1951. "Down Oley Way" was published in 1953. The Oley Valley is located within Berks County, Pennsylvania, approximately one hour northwest of Philadelphia. "I Came This Way" which was published in 1958. Niece Louise Long Banick illustrated at least one of Alliene's books, which were wonderful personal insights into the personalities of the Pennsylvania Dutch people.

Alliene was a great story teller. She was also a proponent and supporter for Camp Mensch Mill and spent many months there. At her request, her ashes were spread on Vesper Hill at Camp Mensch Mill by her sister, Mary, and her niece and nephew, Louise and James Long.

Alliene spent several last years in a nursing home at Topton, PA, a town not too far from Kutztown. She was incapacitated and bed-ridden for her last three years, and was unable to recognize anyone, even her only living family member, her sister Mary Dechant Long.

[NI0499] Mary graduated from Hood College in 1924 and went to the Lancaster Theological Seminary to "please her father". She met her husband there and they were married about the time he graduated from the Seminary in 1927. She was the first female to be accepted at the Seminary. The Lancaster Intelligencer newspaper interviewed her and wrote an article about her in the fall 1924 issue. She was there only a year and did not finish. Because of that, her father felt she was a failure, or at least that was what she thought he thought. Mary was the liberal and reasonable parent and Wilmer was the strict disciplinarian. She encouraged the children to be their own person, while father wanted them to conform. She was a dutiful minister's wife but would rather have been only a housewife. She felt obligated to do the church duties. She also worked with girl scouts and was a good athlete. In talking with her children on 12/5/1990 she talked of the past. She got a very poor 1st report card in the 1st grade. On the way home, she tore it up to "hide the evidence". Only when asked where it was at a later time, did she tell the truth. Her father, Wilmer, received no financial support from his father for his college education. He sold typewriters to make money. When he said he was going to the seminary, his father only said, "There's the door". Once she was expelled from Hood College for 10 days for smoking. She and several classmates had a room with corner ventilation in which they felt they could smoke and not get caught. Mary called her parents and they met her at the train station. The only admonishment she got verbally was that she had to show up in church the next Sunday. Mary also remembered that her father liked to buy quality products. This included the Henderson bicycle (the best after Schwinn). The children had to pay for half the bike ($15?) as a way to share expenses and also get a feel for taking care of the bike. Father also decided to buy a STICKEL red cherry dining room set (table, 4 side chairs, 2 arm chairs, and a hutch). Louise and Jim each had to buy one chair to help pay for the set, which was a huge expense at that time. According to brother David who has possession of the set, it is now worth thousands. Mary Dechant Long was the matriarch at the 1992 Dechant reunion held at Hershey on July 11, 1992. At the evening dinner she agreed to talk about herself and her sister, Alliene. The following is a recap of her very touching, excellent talk about her and her sister's successes over the past 90 years:

Alliene and I had very different personalities. We chose different life styles. She chose a career - as a concert pianist, journalist, newspaper editor, missionary, and world traveler. She went around the world twice by freighter, and was a missionary to China and Japan, and for a short time was in West Africa with Dr. Albert Schweiztzer, all under the Foreign Missions Program of the family church, The Reformed Church. Alliene graduated from Hood College in 1915 with honors and distinction. She wrote 3 books about Pennsylvania Dutch artistry and 2 biographies about local Kutztown celebrities. I am very proud of her and admired her greatly. But was she successful? I chose to be a minister's wife and mother. As a little girl, Alliene, unknowingly, created an inferiority complex in me which has stayed with me all my life. I had to do her chores while she practiced at the piano. I graduated from Hood college without honors nor distinctions. I was always Alliene's little sister! - but with the happy prospect of marrying a minister. The result for me was three children, 10 grandchildren, and 15 great grandchildren. Here at Phoebe Home my life style has changed completely. There are 450 residents in various stages of health and ability. I have my own room, a registered nurse around the clock, and six doctors at my beck and call, and many, many friends - some as active as a rocking chair can be - happy and contented. Have I been successful? If Alliene hadn't practiced while I did her chores, she could not have played Mendelsson's "Spring Song" at our wedding 65 years ago. To each his own - how does one measure success?

[NI0500] Wilmer graduated from Franklin and Marshall College, Lancaster, Pennsylvania, about 1924 and from Lancaster Theological Seminary about 1927.

Wilmer served as pastor in Sabillasville, MD, from 1927-1929; in Fleetwood, PA, from 1929-1943; and in Norristown, PA, from 1943-1954.

Wilmer served as head of Philadelphia Synod which became the Penn Southeast Conference; Chester Springs, PA; and then lived at Quakertown for 2 years.

Wilmer loved hunting and fishing and always had a hunting dog. Pheasant hunting was the favorite. His mother died when he was 12 and he went to live with Uncle and Aunt Craig on a farm near Millgrove through high school. He told about hauling vegetables over the hill by horse drawn wagon to Shenendoa, starting out very early in the morning. He was the only child of his family who got a college degree, which was generally held against him by his family. His father had wanted him to help with the cement block making and garage business.

[NI0506] Mary Dechant Long was a bridesmaid for Edith. She remembered the wedding was held "outside of Boston", and that Uncle Frank payed for the expenses for a car caravan to that wedding. She also said that Joseph had an airplane and took Mary and baby James for a ride over the battle fields of Gettysberg.

[NI0579] Well-known geologist and paleontologist. He is mentioned by James Michner in the novel "Centennial" for contributing data on the dinosaur details in that book.

His major work was with the US Geological Survey in Colorado since the late 1950s.

Peabody Museum and went on many fossil hunting expeditions.

Loves to travel and quite fluent in several languages.

[NI0592] John was killed in a motorcycle accident on Sept. 28, 1987 on a solo trip from Lake Tahoe to Sunnyvale in the Sierras near Jackson on Route 88. He lost control of the bike on a right-hand turn and was run over by a logging truck.

John owned and operated John Long Photography in Palo Alto, California.

[NI0694] Maria came to the US in 1815 by way of Amsterdam. She arrived in Philadelphia Nov. 16, 1815 on the ship "Calisto." She traveled with her two brothers, Johann George and Johann John and their families.

[NI0697] Johann George Frederick was an apprenticed as a cooper in Germany.

Johann George Frederick arrived in Philadelphia from Amsterdam on Nov. 16, 1815. He arrived with his wife, three children, one chest, one trunk, and two bundles of bedding.

Johann George Frederick was a teamster in Ohio. While brother Jacob William had a brewery in Ohio, George delivered and sold the products.

[NI0700] Johann Peter was apprenticed in merchandising. His wife, Louise, inherited money that he invested in a wine business. It was later destroyed by Napolean's troops in 1813-1814.

On November 16, 1815, he packed up his wife, and two children and came to America. He traveled with his sister Maria Fredericka and his brother Johann George Frederick and his family. They came on the ship "Calisto" and arriving in Philadelphia from Amsterdam. Johann Peter was reported to have carried two chests, three trunks, one Baskett, and two bed bundles.

Johann Peter immediately went into business in Germantown, but was unfamiliar with local customs, so the business failed. He then became a German Reformed Church Preacher. He was assigned to a congregation in Urbana, Champaign, Ohio. He was also the pastor of the Union Church in Lawrenceville, Ohio.

Johann Peter was helping a neighbor to clear a field when he was killed by a falling tree in 1824.

[NI0748] [NOTE: From "The Birth of the Blues"]

On 24 April 1946, Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Chief of Naval Operations, issued a directive to Vice Admiral Frank Wagner, Chief of Naval Air Training in Pensacola, FL, that a flight exhibition team would be organized within the Naval Air Advanced Training Command. This flight exhibition team would eventually become the "Blue Angels".

[NI0759] James was 19 when his father shot himself.

[NI0764] Clyde was a life long member of the Y's Men Club of the YMCA.

He was also very active at the St. John's United Church of Christ in Harrisburg.

[NI0767] Robert's second wife, Audrey, was also his father's cousin's daughter.

[NI0876] Very active with the YWCA - She was secretary and later director of the woman’s residence.

She was active in the Church Women United.

She was President of the PTA

Taught Sunday School for many years at the St. John's United Church of Christ in Harrisburg.

[NI0878] William received the New Jersey Society of Architects Award of Merit.

William also received three Community Development Awards.

William was very active at the Cranford United Methodist Church. He was a church Trustee.

Served on the Cranford Planning Board.

[NI0888] James was a Second Class Radio Man in the Navy Reserves during World War II, from July 1944 to June 1946. He worked on the U.S.S. Winston, an AKA-94 Boat, as a radar operator. His boat escorted the troop ships. Jim earned the American Campaign Medal, Amphibious Forces Insignia, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal, and the World War II Victory Medal.

James was very active at the Market Square Presbyterian Church in Harrisburg, PA. He held positions in the church of Deacon, Trustee, and Elder.

James was very active with community organizations such as the Harrisburg Consistory, Tall Cedars, Zembo Shrine, and was also a member of the Mason Perseverance Lodge #21.

James was the doctor for the Harrisburg Dairies Milk Company.

[NI0898] Served in the Army as a Captain.

[NI0909] Barbara directed all the High School plays at Penn Manor for many years.

Barbara was twice voted "Teacher of the Year" by the local radio station where students could nominate teachers.

Barbara was a world traveler, she had been to Europe six times.

Barbara was also one of the 10 teachers chosen at Penn Manor School District as "Meritorious Teachers." This award came with a check for $1,000.00. Barbara felt this check was a wrong way to encourage teachers and spoke out about the whole process. The story was soon picked up by a magazine and the local the media.

Barbara died of Ovarian Cancer after a very courageous battle with the disease.

[NF054] Married by Father F.R. Shields

[NF077] Wedding Ceremony perfomed by Reverend Christian
Ludwig Becker.


©Copyright 2006-2022, the McMurray Family